Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Now close the windows

“Now close the windows and hush all the fields;
If the trees must, let them silently toss;
No bird is singing now, and if there is,
Be it my loss."
-Frost

I have been reading “A Boy’s Will.” Every poem is a microcosm, a world within a world. And this is a collection of his early poetry. I am amazed everyday. It is a bit like living life “At the Vantage Point” and yet, “In Neglect.”

We went and got the books. I totally lost it there. I only just finished reading “Dubliners.” I did not even pick this one because of this absurd-I-am-not-ready-for-Joyce-theory, but then later I filched it from the friend who did. I think that I went the wrong way about reading it. I should not have read it in one go, but, the book is addictive. Tomorrow, I will read “The Stranger.” I know. Finally.

I brought a lot of poetry. A lot. Keats, Browning, Whitman, Dickinson, Frost. An anthology that features everyone from Milton to Walter Scott. I also got a Tony Harrison collection, but, I am not too excited about it.

I also got books by Chekov, Fitzgerald, Kafka, Lawrence, Hardy……. And other stuff.

No Neruda. No Murakami. Couldn’t find any.

Now close all the windows. It is time to explore. I think that it was Kashiwagi who said:

“In order to be
Forgotten from within
A flower opens outward.”

7 comments:

Swayam said...

hey god u must be something.. to be able to take in so much of the high brow stuff... 100years of solitude appeared so beyond me.. and you go up and read all of this... impressive

Abhineet said...

I have also been wondering with amazement as to how much of an appetite you have for reading. It's kinda out of this world. I myself tried making some headway with V S NAIPAUL's "India-a million mutinies now" from the college library, and as always, gave up before I could make it to a 100 pages, out of the 550 odd... Seems that my windows of reading are already closed.. So, I can't help saluting you on ths account.... Keep reading...

Dedalus said...

Whats the I-am-not-ready-for-Joyce-theory? I can sort of think on that line for Nietzsche or Heidegger but Joyce?
The Dubliners is increible:the English language cannot be brought to a greater level of perfection

Aarushi said...

Swayam:
It is not highbrow. Really. It is just literature.

Abhineet:
I have never read Naipul. A friend calls him mongrel mystic. I am not kidding.

Dedalus:
I don't understand the basis of this theory either. That's why I called it absurd.
Ofcourse, Nietzsche will require a degree of understanding and patience that I don't have at the moment. You have it.

Sushant said...

How was it, The Stranger ?

Dedalus said...

Oh I certainly don't have the patience or the intellect to grasp Nietzsche.I struggle with Nehru,Nietzsche is way beyond me at this point...

Aarushi said...

Sushant:
There is indeed a “mournful solace” in the “benign indifference of the universe.” There is something axiomatic about the book. I don’t know what it is. Also, he wants to say that there is an inherent paradox underlying life. Almost as if the basic premise of everything is self-preservation and nothing beyond that matters. Paradoxical and axiomatic, in short.

Dedalus:
But you have read will to power.