Friday, December 26, 2008

Acid evangelist

So, Morrison’s tipsy dream sequences have been on my mind for some time. I just finished reading his biography. Stephen Davis does a good job, but, the book has a horrible sense of chronology. Holden would say, “You don’t know where the hell you are.”

It is interesting to note that he underlined the following in the introduction to Rimbaud’s Illuminations. It explains a lot.

“One must, I say, be a visionary; make oneself a visionary.

The poet makes himself a visionary through a long, a prodigious, and rational disordering of all the senses. Every form of love, of suffering, of madness; he searches himself, he consumes all the poisons in him, keeping only their quintessences…. He arrives at the unknown: and even if, half-crazed at the end, he loses the understanding of his visions, he has seen them! Let him be destroyed in his leap by those unnamable, unutterable, and innumerable things: there will come other horrible workers: they will begin at the horizons where he has succumbed.”

The self-destruction was systematic. Cataclysmic. Morrison to my mind was the paragon of the Byronic heroic. So, I was not surprised to see that the biographer quotes Byron.

The book has entailed that I start with Arthur Rimbaud and go back to Dylan Thomas. In the end, Mr. Mojo is still rising.

In other news, I hate malls. Decisively. Whatever happened to the quiet little places where you can hang out with yourself? If you have coffee houses inside malls, you should be allowed books. Not that I want to read inside malls anyway. People in love make them intolerable.

This blog is becoming depressing. I think that I will make myself pancakes now. Food-therapy works. Always.

6 comments:

Sushant said...

At one point of time, not very long ago, people in love were considered to be a mall's USP, or so a particular lifestyle-magazine believed. And I believed them, they are the authority, after-all.

Food therapy works. Much like painkillers :)

herebededalus said...

By Jove-I seem to be moving closer to echoing Sam,Pankaj and others that your posts are impossible to figure out.My complaint stems more from an ontological POV than from the actual posts...

Aarushi said...

Sushant:
I am big on lifestyle magazines too. They are never wrong and a good reflection of our times.

Katoch:
Metaphysics, my friend, is a pit. Don't fall.
Solipsistical detachment, much?
What have you been reading these days besides Indain political history?

herebededalus said...

Haven't read anything since The Discover of India.Though next on my list are Finnegan's Wake,Gravity's Rainbow,Ramachandra Guha's History of Independent India and Steven Levy's Insanely Great.

PS:Metaphysics is way more rewarding than philosophy.Surely.

Pankaj said...

The blog needs a makeover.Its dull.
Put in some Dev D music,confetti,balloons,a dictionary,a fish bowl,candles,Grecian urns,Fountainhead waterfalls,animations of Mukarmi,Whitman;wallpapers of Morrison,Chekov; auction Pinter memorabilia, Keat Plath screen savers...News updates--The economic crisis is as bad as a Tony Harrison;
Frosts weather updates--its the season for tea at coffee houses;No lightening woke me up.
Fact of the day--this day in 2006 I finished pgs 234-768 of book....;
Live score feeds--the gunner’s dream
Thought of the day--My fav suicide poem a Dickinson but he died a natural..
Jokes--Morten Søndergaard explores poetic short story in Ubestemmelsessteder
Dickinson book-in-a-metro treasure hunts---winner gets Crossword vouchers.Participants get Kafka keyrings

You have content..... just razzle dazzle it. I would have done so.

Aarushi said...

Katoch:
Wow! I had this discussion with a friend yesterday.
Not again

Pankaj:
You really have read everything here.
I just laughed so hard that I am crying. Good job. Good job. Awesome. I give you five gold stars.